Amanda “Mandy” Mishra has been an advanced practice nurse since 2004. She earned a Master of Science in Nursing in 2004. Prior to becoming a nurse, she earned a B.A. and M.A. in sociology/demography. During that time, she worked in various research and technology settings and still draws on those skills in her role in healthcare.
Mandy began her nursing career in inpatient oncology. She has worked in advanced practice roles in a gastroenterology private practice, long-term care and geriatrics, and teaching nursing students both at the undergraduate and graduate level at University of Texas at Austin School of Nursing. Prior to joining ATX Primary Care, she spent the preceding 5 years helping to establish a primary care medical home program for a large multi-specialty practice in Austin. Within that program, she was the primary care provider for patients with complex medical issues requiring high level coordinated care.
Mandy’s primary goal in healthcare is to understand her patients’ health concerns from their unique perspectives. She believes in helping patients make informed and evidence-based healthcare choices in the context of what makes sense for each individual. She firmly believes that good quality healthcare is a partnership between patient and practitioner. She is proud to be an advanced practice nurse and can’t imagine doing anything else.
Mandy is not a native Texan, but has lived in Austin for over 25 years. When not working, she and her husband enjoy the privilege of watching their two daughters grow. She enjoys running, Pilates, reading, camping, traveling around the world, riding her bike to work and having dinner with friends.
Education & Training
- University of Texas at Austin – Master of Science in Nursing, 2004
- University of Texas at Austin – Master of Arts in Sociology/Demography, 1997
- University of Texas at Austin – Bachelor of Arts in Sociology/Geography, 1994
- High Risk Internal Medicine, 2011-2016
- Clinical Instructor, the University of Texas at Austin, School of Nursing, 2007-2011
- Geriatrics/Long-term care, 2009-2011
- Private Practice, Gastroenterology, 2004-2008
- Staff Nurse, Seton Medical Center, 2002-2004
Licenses & Certifications
- Registered Nurse, Texas Board of Nursing, 2002 – present
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, Texas Board of Nursing, 2004- present
- Board Certified Adult Clinical Nurse Specialist, ANCC, 2004 – present
- DEA and DPS registered
- Texas Nurses Association
- American Nurses Association
- Texas Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Texas Nurse Practitioners
- Austin Area Advance Practice Nurses